Two Signs That You May Need A French Drain

A french drain system involves a trench that ends in a pipe that funnels water away from your home.  If you have rain gutters, you may believe that they are sufficient enough to do this task for you.  However, there are some telltale signs that you may need to install a french drain system on your property.  Use this information to learn about two signs which indicate that it may be time to pull out that shovel and start digging a french drain system right away.

The Soil Around Your House Is Consistently Soggy

If you have soggy soil, you may think that it's simply due to the rain patterns in your area.  While it is perfectly normal to have wet soil surrounding your property just after a heavy rain, the condition shouldn't persist for days on end.  

The rain gutters that you have may either be full of leaves or debris, or simply may not be long enough to channel the water far enough away from your house.  That's why a french drain system may be in order.  You can customize the trench so that it is as long as you need it to be.  You can even have the pipe attached in such a way that it pushes the water directly into the sewer system near your home.  You won't have to worry about constantly tracking mud into the house because the soil is soggy, or have to deal with unpleasant runoff.

Water Is Getting Into Your Basement

Another sign that it's time to install a french drain system is when water gets into your basement.  At that point, you realize that you need to erect some kind of barrier to keep this from happening, and a french drain is the way to do it.

You can think of a french drain system as a moat around the outer walls of your basement.  The drain will intercept the water before it has a chance to come into contact with your basement walls so that it won't be able to seep in through tiny cracks or crevices that you may not be aware of.

Installing a french drain system could prove to be a very wise decision.  If you don't feel comfortable tackling the task yourself, you can hire a in your area contractor to come in and assess the property so they can do the work and give advice.